Sunday, September 12, 2010

52 Layouts Week 7, A New Favorite Product... and other fun stuff!




















Yes... that's right.. I actually finished a challenge on time.. AND a whole day before the deadline. Didn't want to let you down 3 weeks in a row! This is my layout for Challenge #7 which was to use a child's artwork on your layout. I knew immediately that I wanted to use these school papers and this photo of my niece Lindsay. Thanksgiving day 2004, she brought these papers to my house and presented them to me. She was SO proud. I love how they say she was going to "Ant Deanus" (Aunt Deanna's) for Thanksgiving. :) I took her picture and told her then that I was going to do a scrapbook page about her and her beautiful artwork to save them. She loved that. Sad that it only took me about 6 years to get it done huh? Be very impressed that I was able to locate said artwork and photo with a minimum amount of trouble. Once I had everything pulled, I was puzzled how to make this work. I mean if you are working on 12x12 and have a 4x6 photo and 2, 8-1/2 x 11 art pages, how do you make that all fit and have any room to scrap? Thought about this for a couple of days and suddenly yesterday got the idea to make this side pocket where I could preserve her pages in the pocket, and still have access to them, and then have the pocket itself as additional room or another layer if you will... to scrap on. Love how this worked out. I could only seem to see this being in red, blue... primary colors I guess because of Lindsay's outfit. I had originally thought I'd do a fall layout since it was Thanksgiving.

Yesterday while I was taking it easy... as ordered by my husband.. because I am still fighting this illness... I came across this post on Heidi Swapp's blog. I loved the little banners she did and liked how she explained how to use letter stickers to turn them into a sewn banner. I also liked the pointed ends on her banners (in some other posts) and in lots of banners I've seen Keisha Campbell do lately. This all came together in my head to use for part of my title on this layout. I used some of my fav. alpha stamps to stamp my title and then cut that into strips.















Since Heidi had shown how to use a piece of cardstock or paper to stabilize your stickers while sewing, I thought why not use some repositionable adhesive to do the same thing with my paper strips? (Is it a sad thing I had to go look it up in the dictionary to see if handmade was one word or two?)















This worked pretty good, except next time I will use a little more adhesive because they did want to move a little and because I wanted to fold over the tops, those wanted to catch a bit. I just kept things steady and flat with my hand, and it went thru the machine fine... see?















Love how this worked out. Cool huh? Thought this worked out well on the top of the pocket as the beginning of my title cause you know me... never can convince myself to use just one font/style for the whole title. I cannot help myself.. I have to mix it up. Have to..... Maybe its part of that OCD thing?















I bought this little treasure from scrapbook.com after reading about it on the Noel Mignon blog here. In my 9 or so years of scrapping, this would be my 4th paper piercer and oh my goodness.... why did I just not know that if it was a Tim Holtz tool.... then of course it would be the best? I mean do you have Tim's scissors? LOVE them... and how about the Tiny Attacher... Do I ever do a page, like EVER without using those things? NO.. and now the same will be true about this piercer. Piercers #1 and #2 were both the long silver ones that Making Memories came out with. These were fine, but dangerous to travel with and then I began reading about people who were having the piercing part of the piercer break off while using it and it goes flying across the room narrowly missing an eye or something... I did have one break and after those reports, I got rid of the other one. I replaced this with a Heidi Swapp piercer. The little tiny black one? I like this one, and it's size, but sometimes when trying to pierce thru several layers, it can be quite difficult and while trying to force it thru the page, one has to be careful not to impale one's self.... Today was the first time I tried the Tonic piercer... it pierced thru 3 layers of cardstock and patterned paper just like it was butter. It was soooo easy! Wow... PLUS this thing is retractable so it will go nicely in my tool bag and I will no longer have to worry about stabbing myself or anyone or anything else! You should totally get yourself one of these!




















Not only did I finish my challenge layout... I actually took some time and FINALLY finished this layout I started waaaaayyy back on Natl. SB Day! It's been sitting on my table since then. Don't know why I couldn't get motivated enough to finish it! Now... is it weird that although I like where I put the little birdhouses... my need for things to make sense... made me have to convince myself that it was OK to put birdhouses under the tree.... even though that normally wouldn't be where birdhouses belong... I know.. its a scrapbook page.. who cares? Um sorry folks.. that is just how my head works. Did this layout to document the fact that I have worn out 2 pairs of walking shoes and am currently on pair #3. ME the girl who used to NEVER exercise.. now not only exercises, but has also worn out walking shoes... Color me amazed. Had some fun with my chipboard on this one. On the tree I did inking to add the color, but then also added a stamped image for some detail. Did this on the foliage part and the trunk part. On the little bird I added some stickles for a little sparkle because well all birds should sparkle...





















Submitted about 450 pictures to print at Walgreens yesterday. It was the last day for a 10 cent print sale which I am thinking one should take advantage of when printing 450 pictures. I decided to do a handful of Darrel's Haiti pictures that I wanted to scrap, and when I was checking out the web site offered me a collage print. I thought this was a cool idea for these photos so I ordered one ($3.99) as a surprise for Darrel today. Didn't it come out cool? Now I am thinking I should have ordered 2 and turned the collage into a page huh?

Well the next 2 weeks are going to be incredibly busy. We are working on a car repair, we both have meetings, we have a family thing next week, Darrel has a retreat next week, I have the Doodlebug retreat this week, we need groceries, the house is a wreck (in my mind...), I need to pack for the retreat... huge job right there.... Plus there is the whole not being all the way well yet, having time to get back on schedule with my walking and zumba and oh yeah... work... I will try to stay up to date here, but if I am missing, you will know why so please check back if I miss a promised post. Thanks so much for reading. Hope you have a blessed week!

No comments: