Yes, here is the self portrait for the first Koontz Family just the 2 of us Thanksgiving. And yes, a good time was had by all! Darrel snapped this photo of the two of us during the thanksgiving cooking. Yes, there was traditional, mostly from scratch Thanksgiving cooking even if there were only 2 guests involved. Wouldn't have it any other way.
The preparations began Wednesday night. Well wait... back that up. Actually on Tuesday night, Darrel made the first part of the Eclair cake. Is he not the sweetest. I guess it's only fair since here as you can see I am making his favorite pumpkin pie. A task I would have enjoyed even more had I already had pie crust in the freezer. Nope. Had to make a new batch! Most ladies seem to think I have taken leave of my senses... but I still make it the way Mamaw taught me to.
In her Pyrex bowl, with oh.... yay much sifted flour, make a well in the center, cut in 1 lb of lard and ice water using your hands as your tools. Yes.. they get very cold and very tired by the time you have everything incorporated. But, it makes good crust. It's easy to work with and it makes enough for at least 4 pies, double crust. We made 1 large deep dish pumpkin pie and one smaller one with the pumpkin mixture that was left. I don't care for pumpkin pie so Darrel has been quite happily working his way thru them! ha!
See... I didn't look too unhappy about the pie crust and pie making did I? It actually came together quite nicely and we had a nice time baking together because yes girls, he helped with everything! I love that kind of help when someone is cleaning up right behind me the whole time because I despise dealing with the mess at the end! He not only helped clean up... see...
Soon as we were done with the pies, he mixed up the topping for the Eclair cake. He has made one of these for me for every birthday probably the last 10 + years so I think he has the process down to a science at this point!
He is also good at checking the pies to decide if they are done. We... he... like them quite well done, as in no baby food like texture for the filling. :) As you can see on the stove top there we also made a little pie crust with cinnamon and sugar. :) Yummy.
And here you have it... Viola! Fresh, homemade pumpkin pie. Judging from the speed at which it is disappearing, I am going to presume it is quite good.
Yes... to make the Thanksgiving dinner I was wearing my CHA Slice apron (it was a Making Memories giveaway). I wore my pink polka dot one the night before and trust me when I tell you I am quite messy when I cook. 2 aprons is a very good thing! Darrel took this picture when I was making the stuffing. YUM sausage bread stuffing. Good stuff! An added perk to Thanksgiving for 2? We got to wear our comfy around the house clothes... and although I did add a little make up... I did go with the wash and wear hair. A much more relaxed atmosphere because usually with having company or going to someones house, we get a little dressy for the holiday.
So how do you prepare Thanksgiving dinner and get it all to cooperate on being done at the same time? Me? I have to have my recipes in order and ready to go and must have my list. The list entails the menu and what needs to go in the oven or on the stove when and then there is a list at the bottom as to what order things need to happen in. My lists make me a happy girl... but you probably knew that didn't you?
Love the recipes sitting there. Why? Because the cookbook was a gift from Darrel's Mom to me, the year after we got engaged, but before we were married. I have used that book a ton and love that all the women in the family have one of those red & white cookbooks. I use the recipe in that book to make gravy, which turned out quite perfectly, 2 batches, thank you very much! Made 2 batches so we'd have plenty for left overs and non of the yummy broth would go to waste. The paper recipe on the right? I wrote that while Darrel's mom explained to me how she makes sweet potatoes the way Darrel likes. He says I do a good job and that its his favorite Thanksgiving food. I can remember sitting on the couch with her when she told me how to make them. Love that memory! It was done kind of the same way Mamaw taught me how to make pie crust.
Here was our table. We got out some of our pretty plates to eat on, but decided to fore go the whole getting out of 19 serving dishes... another happy choice that made less work on both ends of the meal. It all turned out quite yummy!
For the rest of the weekend so far, we have started working on putting up the tree... well OK... Darrel has started putting up the tree. Don't worry.. it got taller than that. We also have eaten Thanksgiving food oh.. 3 or 4 more times. We watched Miracle on 34th Street, The Santa Clause 2, and White Christmas. I studied my Sunday School lesson. Did some reading. Slept. Slept some more and sat in my chair.... We played some video games. We enjoyed a yummy beef cheese ball I made for us.. and did I mention we were lazy?
Tomorrow is our last day off, but we do have church in the morning. I have worship leading and have decided to break out the new pink suede Jessica Simpson shoes for the occasion... It's OK to be girly for church right? That's good cause I can't seem to help myself shoe wise. :)
Have you had a good Thanksgiving? Are you switching into Christmas mode? I am already feeling quite in a Christmas mood. Most of the gifts are purchased or in process. I am about done shopping for Darrel all ready. Decorating is started and should be done by Monday evening I am thinking. Outside decorations are up and lit! It has been years since I have been this ready at this point and I am feeling happy about that. Hopefully that means the month can be more peaceful, more focused on the reason for the season, which for us is the birth of Jesus, and I will have time to work on a December album this year. I don't think I am calling it Dec daily this year because I want to start it now, with Thanksgiving since it feels like the start of our holiday season. What should we call it? Holiday Happenings? The Most Wonderful Time Of the Year? Not sure yet... still mulling that one over. Hope you will stay tuned in to celebrate with me this season. I plan to share my pages as they are completed. Tomorrow's entry? Well its the first Sunday of Advent and it will be the annual putting up of the pink tree! Yay!
I hope you have a blessed Sunday!











No comments:
Post a Comment